Friday, April 9, 2010

Letter from Allison

This is simply the best email I've ever received:

"Mark,

We've come a long way, Pastor. We've come a long way. On the night of my arrest and attempted suicide you held my hand and told me that Jesus had answers for all of the questions I was asking and that, if I gave him time, he would provide some answers. I remember thinking you were an idiot for saying that, or a liar at least. Little did I know in that moment that your time and presence was showing me the love of Jesus for the first time. As you know, we prayed together that night, and I invited Jesus into my heart. I've never been the same since. I've often marveled at the unspeakable love of a savior who would so thoroughly warm the cold heart of a suicidal, heroin-addicted, teenage prostitute. Some people have called this love unconditional. But I don't know what to call it anymore. It's healing, divinely destructive, unrelenting, and exceptional in every way. Praise God for this love.

I write to you, Mark, to let you know that I am now 8 years 4 months and 21 days sober. And now with the completion of my degree in Christian studies, and the daily practice of seeking the answers that you once told me I could find in the savior, earlier today I became a legally ordained minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. And not only that, I also start my new job on Monday. I will be working as a chaplain at a recovery facility for female substance abusers. I can't wait to hold their trembling hands and assure them Jesus has all of the answers to the questions they're asking, and that, if they'll give him time, he will come through with some answers.

Please read this my testimony during the prayer time at The Way's worship gathering this week. Please ask The Way for prayer concerning my ongoing recovery, my new ministry, and, concerning the author of this letter, tell them this:

My name is Allison. I am a heroin addict, a lover of Jesus, a recipient of grace, an ordained minister of the Gospel, and a walking resurrection.

Grace and peace be with you, Pastor. For we have come a long way. By grace, we have come a long, long way."

No comments: