Saturday, July 26, 2008

Local revolutions and ordinary radicals


As I've said in a couple of previous posts, I've been captivated recently by Shane Claiborne's new book "Jesus for President". In fact, over the past month, I've read it three times...partly because I like it so much...and partly because it takes that many times through something to make it really "stick" in my brain (A.D.D. rearing its ugly head)...That being said, spending that much time in Shane's new book, made me want to re-read his first book, Irresistable Revolution. So I took the time this week over my vacation to give it another go.

Here are some quotes that stood out to me this time through Irresistable Revolution:

"Don't let this world steal your soul. Being a Christian is about choosing Jesus and deciding to do something incredibly daring with your life."

"I know there are people out there who say, 'My life was such a mess. I was drinking, partying, sleeping around...and then I met Jesus and my whole life came together.' God bless those people. But me, I had it together. I used to be cool. And then I met Jesus and He wrecked my life. The more I read the Gospel, the more it messed me up, turning everything I believed in, valued, and hoped for upside down. I'm still recovering from my conversion."

"Mother Teresa used to say, 'In the poor we meet Jesus in His most distressing disguises.'"

"We do, indeed, have a God of resurrection, a God who can create beauty from the messes that we make of our world."

"I gave up Christianity to follow Jesus." (I love this one, by the way.)

"What we are doing may seem insignificant, but it is most important that we do it."

"I'm not all that concerned with what I am doing. I am more concerned with whom I am becoming. I want to be a lover of God and people."

There are many, many more that pretty much smacked me in the face this time through...too many to note. I will say, however, that if you have not yet read this book, then I highly recommend that you put this on your "list". It is one of the truly "Christian Works" of our generation.

Grace and Peace to you.

ps - one final thought, Shane dedicates this book by saying, "This book is dedicated to all of the hypocrites, cowards, and fools...like me..." That always makes me smile.

No comments: