Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Life lessons with Izzy


My youngest son, Izzy, is now at the age where he is constantly pulling up on sturdy (and sometimes not-so-sturdy) objects to get into the standing position. I love it, because it's so neat to see the satisfaction and joy that he gets on his face after conquering the struggle to stand. Though it is fun to watch, it is also quite demanding of my attention because he is easily distracted, and when he gets distracted he forgets to hold on causing him to fall and hit his head. Over the past month, my wife and I have spent hours of time standing closely to Izzy and watching him like a hawk trying to prevent him from falling and getting hurt. Which brings me to last night.

Last night Izzy was standing holding onto the back of a chair in my dining room when he became interested in a toy that was laying on the floor just out of his reach. Having seen this scenario play out many times before, I knew just what to do. I took Izzy by the hand that wasn't holding onto the chair, and I said, "Come on, tiny-man, let's go get your toy." An invitation to which Izzy has many times in the past let go of the object that he was holding onto and trusted me to safely support him as he picked up his toy. But not this time...this time was different. Izzy was so comfortable holding onto the back of the chair that he wouldn't let go even though I had him safely in my grasp.

And then it hit me like a ton of bricks...How many times has God tried to walk me to the next phase, season, or project in my life when I have been so comfortable just "holding on" that I didn't even feel my Abba take hold of my other hand? How many times has that happened to you? If you're like me, you've walked through entire seasons of your life lulled into the routine of your days holding on to yesterday's comforts only to wake up one morning and have the revelation that God has been waiting for you to let go of yesterday and simply trust Him enough to take the next step.

And so I was there with Izzy last night. As our eyes locked onto one-another, I could tell by his expression that he was confused. He wanted the toy that was on the floor, and he even took a step toward the toy. But a single step was all he could take because he had not yet let go of the chair. So I said to Izzy, "You've gotta let go of the chair and walk with me to get that toy."

And Izzy did let go and walk with me.

As I watched him play with his toy, I wiped the tears that were running down my cheeks because the same words that I had just spoken to my son were words that I constantly need my Father to remind me of.

Mark, you've gotta let go and walk with me.

If I'm going to take my next step in His work for my life,
I've gotta let go and walk with Him.
If I'm going to be the man that He made me to be,
I've gotta let go and walk with Him.
If I'm going to live and love as He lives and loves,
I've gotta let go and walk with Him.


Let me ask you something. Is there something that you need to let go of? Is there something holding you back, preventing you from letting God be the firm foundation of your life? Well...if so, then I believe that today is a good day for letting go and walking with Him. Scripture tells us time and again that He is holding our hand ready to catch us from the fall. Will you trust Him today? Will you let go and walk with Him today?

Grace and Peace

No comments: