Thursday, June 26, 2008

My latest book report

Over the past 3 months, I've read:

The Barbarian Way, Erwin McManus
"Yes, yes, yes"...that's what I found myself saying over and over again as I read this book. What a great read! It has inspired me to be more forthright and radical about my approach to living as a Christ follower. You should definitely read this book.

Soul Cravings, Erwin McManus
Eh...I'm a huge Erwin fan, but this isn't his best stuff. Granted, I'm not the intended audience for this book...it's written to those who haven't yet found faith in Christ. But I will say that, in true Erwin fashion, he discussed some content from new perspectives. Maybe I'll re-read this again someday and give it a second chance.

The Seven Checkpoints, Andy Stanley and Stuart Hall
This was a re-read for me as I am taking the summer to address the way we go about ministering to students here at Charter Oak Church. This book is one of the defining works on student ministry as far as I'm concerned. This was a great refresher for me.

Dangerous Wonder, Micheal Yaconelli
I LOVE this book! It discusses the truth that we as believers have, in large part, lost our abillity and willingness to simply marvel at God and get swept away by His love, His invitation, His sovereignty, His goodness...It calls us back to the child-like faith, the first time encounter, and the first love that so enveloped us in the beginning. Does your faith walk need a "shot in the arm"? Do you feel like your relationship with Christ is missing something? READ THIS BOOK!

2 Corinthians, God
I've spent the better part of the last year wrestling with this text trying to grasp all that Paul has to say, but the last three months have been particularly fruitful. If you haven't spent any quality time in 2 Corinthians lately, take 15 minutes tonight to give it a fresh read. Seriously, it's rocked my world.

Grace and Peace to you.

No comments: