Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sunday night ranting


It's midnight on Sunday night (Monday morning), and I am no where near sleepy yet. I'd go on to bed, but the myriad of thoughts racing through my mind right now would leave my body tossing and turning. Here are a few of them:

-I told my baby boy about the Good News again today. I told him about Jesus the very first night that I had him home...I just wanted to be the first to tell him...what an honor...And I told him again today because I just wanted to remind him. I can't imagine where I'd be today if I didn't have people in my life who are willing to remind me. To those who do that for me, you know who you are...thank you.

-I served communion at two services this morning. I had the privilege of sharing the body and blood of Christ with a couple hundred people today, but just two of them stick out in my mind...Blues and Marley. Even though I've done it several times before, sharing the elements with my own kids had a certain holiness about it today that startled me. I could hardly speak the words, "the body of Christ broken for you." Wow...

-In the past month I've visited two of the biggest churches in the world, and I've had one-on-one meetings with some of the biggest names in ministry. After spending a week processing those meetings and conferences, the words that come to mind that describe my take-away from it all include: humbled, inspired, encouraged, and heart-broken (in a good way).

-There are three quotes from DRIVE and Saddleback that are still heavy on my mind:
1) To reach the people that no one else will reach, you must do what no one else will do. 2) It's so easy to learn 'how to' and forget 'why'. 3) What grieves the heart of God the most is that His lost sheep have not yet been found (This one literally nauseates me. I'm either going to be a part of the solution to this, or I will have lived for nothing).

-ASP is one week away. DEEP Week is two weeks away. I wonder how many lives will be changed forever by the experiences of these two weeks. Would you join me in prayer over this?

-I'm in a season of great opportunity right now. I'm praying my way through it all, and, though discernment can be frustrating, I'm learning to have fun with the process. I've become convinced that God is content to open many doors to those who are willing to simply "follow Him". It's just a little scary that the vehicle of faith isn't equipped with seat belts...know what I mean?

-I had the best staff meeting ever today. My volunteer team is AWESOME! Their love for Christ and dedication to student ministry brings tears to my eyes. Look wherever you want to look...you're not going to find a better group of people to serve with. To my team: I love you so much!

-Deuce is going to change the world. I'm convinced of that. If you haven't taken the time to get to know that guy, then you're missing out. He's something special.

-Laci Jacoboski has joined our staff this summer, along with the Deuce, as an intern. Talk about someone who is in love with Jesus...She's precious.

-There is a group of students who are planning to meet together on Thursday mornings for an hour of prayer every week throughout the summer. Think about that for a minute...most teens don't even see "morning" during their summer break because they sleep in past noon, but there is a group of teens at Charter Oak Church who are getting together early every Thursday morning over their Summer break to pound on Heaven's door. I don't even have words for this...this just blows me away! Hallelujah!

-I so want to be closer to Jesus. I want to be astonishingly close to Him...dangerously close to Him...I want Him to penetrate and infiltrate every fiber of me...Let His life refine me, His love define me, His grace be my banner.

-I've found a great explanation of what's going on in my soul lately in this verse. Anyone else out there groaning?

-Harlend and Jared Hall are coming for a free concert at Charter Oak Church on August 22nd. This is going to AWESOME!

-I was asked at my small group on Friday night what I thought was the one most important thing that we could all pray for our church right now. My answer was, simply, Pastor Chris. He is stepping up in a big way next month taking on the Lead Pastor role, and we need to do our part in praying for our Pastor. He's a special man with a herculean task in receiving the "torch" that's being passed to him. There are many things that we could be praying for, but this, I feel, is the most important one.

On that note, I think I'm going to call it a night.
Grace and Peace to you.

1 comment:

jparob said...

PM,

I vividly remember the first time I helped with Communion at Charter Oak as a lay speaker. I was overwhelemd by the emotion I experienced as I shared the blood of Jesus with my family and friends while looking in their eyes. We sometimes go through the mechanics of the act without really comprehending its significance. I feel blessed to have been allowed to participate on the giving side and communion has never been the same for me since.

Thank you,

Jeff