Monday, August 4, 2008

A difference maker


Many people I meet say that they want to change the world, and I resonate with them because I, too, would like to see change. But every once in a rambling moon I meet someone who is a real "difference maker". Today was one of those days.

My family and I went with a group of Charter Oak Church's Students to spend an evening serving together at The Hunger Garden where, upon our arrival, we met Mrs. Lynn (see picture). Mrs. Lynn is the keeper of The Hunger Garden and a true modern day saint. Her life's work can be found on a farm in Madison, PA...with nothing more than acres of vegetables and a vision, she is putting a dent in the population of hungry families in Westmoreland County. You see...The Hunger Garden is the largest provider of fresh vegetables to The Westmoreland County Foodbank, and Mrs. Lynn shared with me tonight through tears of joy that her farm was responsible for providing over 22,000 pounds of fresh vegetables to the hungry of our community every year.

My family and my students and I worked for about 3 hours tonight picking bushels of beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, and zucchinis as part of our ongoing efforts to make our Student Ministry, as well as our own personal walk with Jesus, something that is truly incarnate of all that Christ has called us to with regards to caring for the poor and the needy. And even though it was hot and dirty, and there were bugs everywhere (even some mice and snakes), we had a blast! You can see some pictures of our experience here

This trip to The Hunger Garden wasn't just a "one-time" deal, by the way. My family and several students and I will be going back to serve every Monday night throughout the remainder of the Summer. I tell you that because I'd love for you to join us. Do you have some free time on Monday nights and are looking for an "out-doorsey" way to follow the call of Christ? If so, then you should consider tagging along with us. I promise you this...you'll sweat, you'll laugh, you'll pick vegetables, you'll meet some sincerely remarkable people, and you'll have a great time serving Jesus by being an instrument of feeding the hungry. Think about it.

Grace and Peace to you.

2 comments:

Should've Been a Beach Bum said...

This sounds like it would be great!
How old do the kids have to be? Mine are 13, 11 & 8 though.

Mark McMahon said...

Bring them on!!! My 9 year old and my 6 year old came and picked with us last night, and they loved it! We made a game out of it to see who could pick the most beans, etc. Also, it's a very loose work environment, so they will be able to move at their own pace. Let me know if you'd like to meet us at the church and caravan to the farm...if not, then it will be nice just to see you there. Have a great rest of the day!