Thursday, June 25, 2009

A requested re-post

I was asked to re-post some questions I have for the this generation's church. Here it is...

Why is it that we call ourselves "evangelical" when we aren't all that deeply committed to evangelism?

Why do we meet for ministry inside of our churches when Jesus did the bulk of His ministry on the streets and in people's homes?

If God is who we believe Him to be, and His call on our lives is what we know that it is, what are we waiting for?

If the Gospel really is good news, why aren't we excited about it?

When was it that Jesus stopped caring about the people who are so lost, so broken, so misled, so caught up in the world that they make their dwelling on the fringe of society?

When did God become so tame?

When did Jesus become an American citizen?

Why do preachers have to tone-down their sermons for fear of offending someone?

Why can't the "salvation message" find its way into everything we do?

If we're supposed to care for the widow and the orphan, why don't I know many of them by name? And why am I not cooking breakfast for them right now?

With so many people talking about their desire to change the world, who will be so crazy as to actually do it. Lord make me crazy...

Why do we teach grace when we aren't willing to live it?

What are we so afraid of?

Can we re-institute the Jubilee?

When did "God bless America" become a more popular phrase than "love thy neighbor as thyself"?

What kind of church are we building for our children?

What are we doing?

Grace and Peace

3 comments:

Baba said...

I am Ande, Koty and Kelsey's grandma. I know how close you are to Ande and how you have helped him through some very tough times. I still have the email that Sheri sent to Kelsey when she was here with visiting with her Dad the week before Koty's death. And it says that you were going to invite Koty to Small Group. I am so sorry that you never had the chance.
I wish you blessings and hope that your next direction in ministry is the window that opened when a door closed.
Thank you for a Great Youth Group in the church. I don't care what of the reasons you left, just know that many people wish you the very best.

nefferyoj said...

So many of these questions are so closely related to what God has been speaking into the hearts of Phill and I...we want to be CRAZY too...we want to meet the people where they are...not just meet with other believers behind the walls of a "church"...we want to be all out excited and willing to work for Jesus, to be HIS hands and feet!...I hope and pray that as God leads us, and hopefully many more into "Living Ministries", that we can answer those questions by giving an answer that CHANGES things for HIS glory!!!

KAREN HOUGH, RN said...

I just got caught up with what's in your head by going to your blog site today. I have been in prayer for you and your family. Know that I love you all so much. Funny how Holy Spirit discernment prepares us for the days ahead. We are studying the Book of ACTS in our small group at present. Before that, it was "Chasing Francis" by Ian Cron...Talk about enlightment in figuring out what the church of Christ should be like. I remember having a discussion with you then about the "Chasing Francis" book's synopsis, or 5 valuable topics that move us into thoughs of God and the gift of Christ:
1. TRANSCENSENCE that goes beyond the intellect (sometimes harboring us in a state of arrogance)...this transcendence needs to be accomplished. A new awareness that says God is in control.
2. COMMUNITY...A living, breathing COMMUNITY that speaks to others that they are seeking the kingdom of God, the New Jerusalem...It's AN ALL INCLUSIVE club with freedom for all regardless of gender or age.
3. BEAUTY...by keeping the arts in your life (by observing or participating in poetry, music, painting, whatever encompasses beauty...this is the spiritual, imaginative way that glorifies God's creation in us)
4. DIGNITY of others and ourselves will help us as 'broken/fallen' individuals when we minister or are ministered to by others...no judgement, but instead, DIGNITY held as priority.
5. MEANING in life is a constant need in the hearts of humanity...We have to recognize and appreciate this in ourselves and others, We all want to be part of something larger than ourselves. Keeping that in focus brings us to a 'STILL' place that let's us know that HE is GOD!

So, keeping that book in mind coupled with study in Books of Acts has me in thought about the early church, Saints and their journey in Christ...St. Francis, Paul, Peter, and even us, YES us, can be Saints for the Glory of God. I am excited. Call me crazy...I've seen God at work as I boldly go forth to serve others in Christ's love.

A neighbor,muslim, girlfriend shared her thoughts with me after I prayed and 'ministered' to her health issues. I say 'ministered', as I am a nurse and it required some nursing skills. I believe she shared her faith background with me to see if I would return to continue helping her. She and I have been on this 'journey' together now for 4 weeks. The other day she shared with me, "You know, I am so uncomfortable in the mosque with those people. But after you prayed with me, I never felt so much better. I kept thinking of this prayer and prayed every night while I was away with my family. And I still feel so good. I thank you so much!"

And so I end saying, "All glory to God, our creator and maker!" It is in love that we conquer all fears! Jesus gave and continues to give all the gifts we will ever need. His Holy Spirit guidance of patience and quietness helped me to not 'preach' to her, but instead go forth in love to serve her in need. Thank you Jesus! YOU make me wanna be brave!

My prayer for you is this strength...Brother Mark, Go forth to boldly love and serve the Lord!