Friday, November 21, 2008

Two important books on Student Ministry (book #1)

Over the past month, I've read two incredible books on the subject of Student Ministry. Both of the books sort fell into my lap, so to speak. They were both SO good that I knew that I needed to share about them on my blog so that my friends out in youth ministry land could read about them in the event that they hadn't already actually read them.

Book #1 - Youth Ministry Nuts and Bolts, Duffy Robbins

This book is very much a survival guide of "how to's" when it comes to the reality of ministry behind the scenes. Some of the topics covered in this book are:

Gaining a vision for youth ministry
How to make decisions
Dealing with conflict
How to work with Parents
Motivating your team
Time management
Managing a budget
Evaluating your ministry

Duffy's words are time-tested and practical. This is easily the most helpful and ready-to-be-applied book that I have EVER read on Student Ministry. I used to tell people that if they could only choose one book on the subject of student ministry that they should read Doug Field's "Your First Two Year's in Youth Ministry"...now, I just hope that you will never be in a situation to have to choose just one book. Seriously, I wish I would have found Duffy's book back when I was first starting in ministry. It would have made things a lot easier.

As I read this book, I found myself thinking, "I need to re-read this book about once a year just to refresh myself on the basics." And, "This book is going to be required reading for every intern that I have from now until Jesus returns."

Grace and Peace

No comments: