Friday, November 21, 2008

Two important books on Student Ministry (book #2)



As I mentioned in my previous post, I've recently read two incredible books on the subject of youth ministry. I blogged about this first book here. And now for the second book...

Book #2 - Getting Fired for The Glory of God, Mike Yaconelli

This book is not terribly different from Duffy's, at least in perspective. The motivation behind this book is to provide the reader with practical assistance in surviving "real-world" ministry. However, "Getting Fired for The Glory of God" is focused on caring for a minister's soul.

Often times, ministers feel the pressure to give and give and give of themselves until they are totally burnt out and are ready to walk away. Often times, ministers feel the pressure to build great programs that attract huge crowds instead of building great ministries that nurture true disciples. Often times, ministers feel the pressure to preach and teach political correctness instead of timeless Biblical Truth. Often times, ministers feel that their job, and even their career, is on the line when they don't "please people". Often times, ministers feel that their church board would rather them turn out nice kids instead of radical lovers of Christ. This book is written to address a minister when they are finding them self in the midst of those types of "times". And let me tell you, this is a great book...

Mike writes as fearlessly, profoundly, and mischievously in this book as he did in "Messy Spirituality". This book made me laugh. It made me cry. It made me mad. And it spoke to the Pastor in me with great clarity. And let me also say that this is NOT just a book for youth ministers. If you have any role in nurturing the spiritual growth of a group of people, whether large or small, volunteer or paid, you should read this book. It will definitely be worth your time.

Grace and Peace

No comments: