Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Winter Retreat Reflections

I've taken the last 3 days to recover from the weekend. And as I think back on it, all I can say is, "wow." This weekend's retreat was easily the best weekend on the mountain that we've ever had. Not only did we have the biggest crowd ever, but we had the largest number of people make a first time decision to receive Christ at a winter retreat. It was amazing...simply amazing...

To all of you who helped cover this retreat in prayer, I just want to thank you so much for joining my staff and me in this endeavor. Your many prayers were certainly felt by all.

Here are some of my fondest memories from the weekend:

-On Friday night watching the group of students from Garfield United Methodist Church (predominantly African Americans from the inner city environment) get welcomed with open arms by our students...they walked in and were immediately made part of the family...I have NEVER been more proud of Charter Oak's students than I was in that moment.
-When Moonbeam kicked off the entire retreat with her "Something is going to happen" monologue...no one knew that it was coming other than her and I...she just walked up to the microphone and started her monologue, and she did such a good job portraying a crazy person that it literally frightened some people...the ice was broken, and the retreat began...it was AWESOME!
-Having a near death experience in the mosh pit on Friday night...I ran into George (a senior high student that is about 6"2" and 250 lbs. of solid muscle). Needless to say, he got the better end of the collision. I bounced off of him like a tennis ball and landed flat on my back. George then grabbed me by my belt and picked me up off of the floor as though I weighed no more than a sack of groceries. Good times...
-On Friday night when the crowd shouted "hoooooooooooo"
-The flip chart...oh, if only Demetri Martin were a preacher.
-Seeing the faces of the new kids in the room when they realized that I really was going to deliver an entire message about poop.
-Watching the students as they went through the prayer labyrinth. There was more than one student that spent over an hour on their face at the cross. I'll take that over a million dollars ANY DAY!
-Christian Jonczak's testimony on Sunday, "I'm Christian Jonczak, and I love Jesus!" That's all he said. It was perfect.
-Keeks said, "When I was at the cross, I was trembling like a naked mole rat hopped up on crack cocaine."
-Sam...right before the retreat, she got in the car to go kill herself, literally. Her car broke down frustrating her suicide plan...she gave her life to Christ while she was at the retreat. Did someone say that Jesus saves? HALLELUJAH!!!!
-When Harlend played Vertigo...I've never seen Cara smile like that
-When Army of Cranes played Sounds Like...and Justin Mackie moshed with the students.
-Praying with Lizzie, April, Meghan, Billy, Toby, Amanda, and John to receive Christ on Saturday night. What an honor...
-Two words: butt pimples
-Seeing the boys' boxers hanging from the rafters in the chapel. Best prank ever!!!
-Hearing Meghan say that she wanted to stay even after badly breaking her nose. Blood was everywhere and her nose was gruesomely displaced, and she declared that she was staying. She wanted some Jesus...end of story. :D
-Hearing people use the word "skubalon" all weekend. Skubalon greek for "crap".
-Gordon shaved a cross into his belly hair. It was disturbing and amusing all at the same time.
-The experience that I shared with Seth in the Labyrinth. Seth, I'll never ever forget that.
-Theresa's painting!!!!
-...and the paint that we spilled on the carpet in the chapel. Oops...
-The bunkbed incident that nearly re-arranged Dan Statler's face.
-Watching my team do what they do best.
-The flip chart drawing of "the pope".
-The Sunday morning jam session when our worship band played with Harlend

Grace and Peace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello! :)