Friday, September 25, 2009

Why I'm sooo excited about The Way

Friends,

Sunday is coming, and it will mark week number 3 together at The Way. And as each Sunday passes, I only get more and more excited as we progress together as a family of God. As we have met in previous weeks, I have LOVED laughing with you and praying and worshipping with you. It just feels like home...

As this Sunday approaches, I am particularly excited. I can't quite put my finger on what it is that I feel is coming, but as preparations for this Sunday have been made I sense with all of my being that this is going to be a special weekend. Rehearsing with the band last night, there were times when goosebumps and tears were covering all of us. Studying the message for the weekend, I've been led to just get on my knees and pray. Mark my words, God is up to something.

It's been a big week behind the scenes in other regards, too. Revising insurance policies, meeting with leaders in our congregation to discuss their role in our ministry, and working on some promotional materials have occupied my week. As I type that I'm reminded of my conversation with a mentor/friend this week in Washington DC. I told him, "I'm just so pleased to be doing what I'm doing. I feel kind of like a proud papa holding his newborn baby. And just like that newborn baby is fragile, needy, and at times all a mess, I hold on to it and cherish it just the same." He replied, "Good. And the thing about babies is that they are all of those things that you said, and brand new churches are also all of those things that you said, but if you'll do the things that are obedient unto God the baby will grow."

I believe that he is right about that.

I'm ready to preach this weekend. I'm ready to pray and worship this weekend. But MOST IMPORTANTLY I am ready to truly connect with God and continue building community with people who are learning to live The Way of Jesus.

I hope to see you (and a few of your friends) at LES at 10:30am Sunday.

Grace and Peace be with you.

No comments: