Friday, January 25, 2008

The least of these (who are you pouring into?)

I was reading my Pastor's blog this morning (Chris Whitehead)...

You can check him out at chriswhitehead.blogspot.com

Anyways, I was reading his blog this morning and got the biggest chuckle out of the portion of his blog where he lists "blogs I read". The list includes:

Tim Stevens
Scott Hodge
Dave Ferguson
Perry Noble
Tony Morgan
Mark McMahon

That just absolutely cracked me up because, while I appreciate a shout out from someone I respect so highly, I couldn't help feeling like i didn't belong on that list. Check it out:

Tim Stevens is the executive pastor at one of the largest most innovative churches in America and has authored several books on strategic work in ministry. Scott Hodge is the pastor of The Orchard and quietly champions the cause for anyone who's ever struggled with answering a call to ministry (seriously, you gotta hear this guy's testimony). Dave Ferguson...just read his book "The Big Idea". This guy is off the charts! Perry Noble is the lead pastor of what I believe is the next big thing in American Churches. His no-nonsense preaching and emphasis on reaching the lost is second to none. Tony Morgan has worked with Tim Stevens at Tim's church and now works with Perry Noble at Perry's church. He co-authored all of the strategic ministry books that Tim Stevens published, and his ideas on leadership are about as cutting edge as it gets.

And then there's me. I am the Pastor to Student Ministry at Charter Oak Church. While I am extremely blessed to fulfill that role, it isn't a title that commands any real respect from anyone in my industry. I haven't written any books. There aren't thousands of people flocking to hear me teach, and I haven't hosted any cutting edge conferences that have placed me on a "who's who" list of young ministry leaders. I'm just me...a dude that holds fast to Jesus no matter what...a dude that believes in the potential of this generation of students regardless of what society says about them...a dude that has a longer list of failures than successes...you know...just an ordinary dude...and my pastor reads my blogs.

I know that Chris could list several good reasons to read my stuff. He could (and probably would) say that it's a good way to keep in touch with me outside of the status-quo of office life or that it gives him insight into what's stirring my passions lately. But knowing Chris, I would guess that the real reason he reads my blog is that he wants me to know that he cares...that he wants to be able to minister to me on the deepest level every day...that he wants to pour Jesus into me in the moments that I need it the most...That means the world to me.

It begs the question: who am I pouring into? Who are you pouring into? God has strategically placed us in one another's lives so that we may hold one another before the cross of Jesus with great affection, encouragement, and accountability. So...my fire has been lit...I want to be more intentional about this, and I intend to spend the next couple of weeks focusing on this.

Who are you pouring into?

No comments: