Thursday, January 3, 2008

My New Year's resolutions

It's a new year. Here are my goals:

To be more forgiving:
It's hard to admit, but I really struggle with letting things go sometimes. I know that may not speak well of me as a follower of Christ, so I'm gonna spend the year working on it. Just don't make me mad!!!!! J/K

To be more engaged in the lives of my wife and kids:
The nature of ministry can be pretty invasive to the home-life of a pastor. While I want to be the very best pastor that I can be, it is WAY MORE IMPORTANT that I be the best husband and father that I can be. Therefore, I want every day of 2008 to rest fondly in the hearts and minds of Jean, Blues, Marley, and Izzy (due to arrive in February ). If I fail at all of my other resolutions, this is the one that I will be sure to keep.

To spend more time in God's Word:
I believe the power of God's Word is best found when you saturate yourself in it, and more-so-than-ever-before I want to make sure that I am thoroughly bathed in scripture. While I already spend time reading the Word every day, it is my goal to spend more time studying and pondering. Reading for depth and not for distance, I want to be like a beautiful steak soaking in a marinade preparing for the master chef to use it to feed the hungry.

To stop apologizing so much:
Anyone who really knows me will tell you that I use the phrase "I'm sorry" several times a day. And while I believe that phrase to be incredibly important when it is needed, I have caught myself apologizing over the past year for some of the dumbest stuff. Stuff like: my personal preferences on things, my faith, my preaching style, my style of dress, my hair style, and even the amount of time that I spend with my wife and kids. But that's definitely gonna stop. Starting right now I'm not sorry about those things, and if you're offended by that, then you should know that I'm gonna do my very best to share the love of Christ with you anyway.

To plug into a small group:
My wife and I will be looking to plug into a small group this year. We've been a part of small groups in the past, but over time the groups fizzled and dissolved. That being said...we're getting back in the game. We need accountability just as much as the next married couple, and I'm placing this on the priority list!

That's it. Those are my resolutions.
ps - Happy New Year!

No comments: