Monday, September 15, 2008

A letter...


We began a new teaching series in Student Ministry two Sundays ago called "Irresistible Revolution". We are proudly teaching the concepts of Shane Claiborne's book with the hopes that we may all become more "christianos" or "like Christ".

With that in mind the Student Ministry has built a team of people who have taken on the responsibility of keeping "serve" opportunities at the fore-front of everything we do. Part of the first phase of work for that team was to identify organizations that our Student Ministry could partner with over the long haul as to make these serve projects as relational and impactful as possible. One of those organizations that we have chosen is The Hunger Garden. You can read more about The Hunger Garden here.

Over the weekend, I received a letter from Lyn Hunter, the director of The Hunger Garden. It was one of the biggest blessings I've received in a long, long time. Here it is:

Dear Pastor Mark,


I just wanted to thank you again for your youth ministry’s regular participation at The Hunger Garden this Summer. It was a real treat to meet you and your students and work alongside of you on a weekly basis, which really is why I’ve felt so compelled to write you this letter.

Pastor Mark, I’ve worked with literally hundreds of churches here at The Hunger Garden over the years, and I have to tell you that the weeks that I’ve spent with you and your students lets me know that there is something special going on at your church. What I mean by that is simply, there has never been a youth ministry follow through on their commitment to serving with us like your’s has. You and your students have become a regular fixture here, and, what’s more, is the tireless work-ethic that you all bring with you. While most groups of teens that come our way “horse around” more than they actually work, you and your group are committed to getting things done for Christ. I must say that this has altered my thinking not only about this generation of teenagers, but it has also improved my outlook on the Christian church altogether.

I do hope that Charter Oak Church’s youth ministry will be joining us in Summers to come. There are more hungry families to feed, more vegetables to harvest for them, and acres upon acres of Good News for those in need here at The Hunger Garden.

Until next time,
Lyn Hunter


As a pastor, I believe that it's letters like these that show milestones that we should celebrate. I am SO proud of the students who helped out at The Hunger Garden over the Summer and early Fall. Way to go, guys! WAY TO GO!!!

Grace and Peace be unto you today.

2 comments:

Эндий said...

:) amen

Эндий said...

p.s.

my friend here at pitt told me to read that book. i suppose you recommend it as well?