Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I'm going to Seminary!


Well, at least for a day, that is. I'm going to Pittsburgh Theological Seminary tomorrow to present as a guest speaker.

It's kind of funny really. While I am very familiar with the Christian studies environment on the collegiate level, I've never thought of myself as the "Seminary" type...and I've certainly never thought of myself as the "would someday present at a Seminary" type. Regardless, I am excited about this opportunity.

I'll be addressing a class of Seminary students on the subject of evangelism, a subject that is very near and dear to my heart. And while I will spare you all of the dirty details of my presentation, here are a few of the thoughts that I'll be developing for the class:

NOTE: These thoughts are completely my own, and I invite you to receive them, or scrutinize them, with the full authority of Scripture, as I contend to be more of a student than an authority on this subject.

1) It's not the Gospel's fault that our churches are dying.
It's not. The Gospel has not lost its power, appeal, or relevance. In the same line of thinking, neither is it Jesus' fault that our churches are dying. What Jesus finished 2,000 years ago has not suddenly been made unfinished. It's our fault that our churches are dying. In our consumer driven society, we have created a consumer driven Christian mindset. What once was a faith walk built upon the love for God and His broken people is now a faith walk built upon "my personal Savior meeting my personal needs to make me a better person". Don't get me wrong, I believe that we need to emphasize the personal, intimate nature of our Lord and allow Him to change us from the inside out, but the Great Comission makes it clear that our faith walk isn't exclusively about Christ working in us. Rather, it is also about Christ working through us. To put it bluntly, many of our lost friends are lost because you and I have not awakened to the fact that it is our personal responsibility to spread the Good News. Perhaps we would be more successful evangelists if, instead of being "Gospel consumers" focused on reaping the benefit of the Good News, we became "Gospel connections" focused on building a fellowship of other connections to the Gospel all reaping the benefit of the Good News.

2) Your country club's membership will have to make room for the pierced, tattooed, addicted, jaded, unlovely, and ill-reputable of your community if it intends to be The Bride of Christ.
Show me a church where the town drunk would be asked to come back once he has sobered up, and I'll show you a body of believers who has missed the point. We serve a God who touched lepers, dined with misfits, and offered His salvation to people of all walks of life...first to the Jew and then to the Gentile. Here's a question: what are we saying then about the loving, relational nature of our Savior if we should carry the banner of His Gospel with more exclusivity than even He did? When He walked the Earth, He extended his invitation, without reservation, to who-so-ever would believe upon Him, and His invitation is still extended in the same manner today. May our doors then be opened wide to the unclean. And may our hearts be broken when the paralyzed man has to be lowered in through the roof because the "faithful" wouldn't allow him in through the door.

3) Grace demonstrated is better than grace explained.
It always has been, and it always will be. With that in mind, I believe that the reason that the lost world has not yet been successfully evangelized is simply that the body of believers who came before us, were not good practitioners of amazing grace, and, what's more, we are in danger of repeating their mistake. Providing you with an example, I could tell you about Jesus' desire that we would forgive one another seventy times seven, and you might appreciate the concept. But if I were to actually become so sold out to Christ that I suck it up and genuinely forgive you seventy times seven, then you see Christ's love in me...you see transformation and surrender in me...that's evangelism at its best. In short, we will evangelize better as we learn to practice what we preach.

4) Political correctness is condemning people to hell.
If the name of Jesus Christ offends people, then be offensive. Be nice, but be offensive. A Gospel with no cross is impotent. A salvation with no Christ is no salvation at all. BE OFFENSIVE!!! Share Christ, Him crucified and resurrected. Share the Truth of His Word. Share it in season and out of season. It is the truth which sets men free.

5) Extend the invitation.
I know quite a few people who have decades or more invested into other people whom they are trying to reach for the Lord who have never simply extended the invitation to accept Christ. I don't understand that. If it's nervousness that is getting you, then get over it. If it's the "right opportunity" that you're waiting for, then make it happen. Jesus' gift of salvation was never meant to save for a rainy day. Take a chance. Make a move. It's time...

Have an awesome day!
Grace and Peace

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's amazing to see how God is working through you.
"I WITH YOU AM"
Let us know how it goes!