Thursday, May 1, 2008

A beautiful mind

This morning I had a fascinating discussion with a brain surgeon. It all began when he found out that I am a pastor, and he asked me, "Pastor, do you feel comfortable that the oral traditions of the Gospel events were accurately captured when they were finally recorded by the Gospel writers?" Naturally, I assured him that, by faith, I have never questioned the accuracy of the oral tradition, and, what's more, the study that I have done both personally and on the collegiate level has only verified their accuracy...so I turned the question around on him..."Doctor," I asked, "do you feel comfortable that the oral traditions were recorded accurately by the Gospel writers?" His answer surprised me. He said boldly and confidently, "Absolutely!" He then went on to share with me some facts about the human brain and its ability to retain information. He pointed out the fact that for at least 2 of the Gospel authors, Matthew and John, even though their Gospels were written well after the life of Christ the information that they had was being retained through multi-sensory first-hand experiences. Which, unlike trying to simply memorize words on a page, their brains were actually able to associate things like sounds, tastes, smells, and visual references...something that the doctor said, as you and I already know, greatly assist with the retention process. He then went on to speak of Mark and Luke...Mark the student of Peter who's passion for Christ made him like a sponge for information, and Luke who was a physician...an exceptionally well educated man who made a living on seeking and retaining information. And then the Doctor told me about people like the guy in (this video). This just blows me away...


I don't know about you, but I had goosebumps the entire time I watched that video. Praise God that there should be absolutely no question regarding the accuracy of the oral tradition.

Grace and Peace to you...

1 comment:

i am not said...

oh my gosh.
that. is. amazing.