Thursday, March 20, 2008

What I've been reading

Here are a list of books that I've read over the past couple of months.

1) Sex God - Rob Bell
I am a huge Rob Bell fan. I get the Mars Hill weekly podcast. I own all of the Nooma's. I devoured Velvet Elvis, and I highly recommend it to any and all who are looking for a good read. That being said, I didn't like this as much as I liked Velvet Elvis. Granted, I read it because I'm a huge "Rob fan" and not because I was all that interested in the deep connection between sexuality and spirituality. I give it a 7 out of 10. There were some parts that were really insightful.

2) Seven Practices of Effective Ministry - Andy Stanley, Reggie Joiner, Lane Jones
This was required reading for the Senior Management Team of Charter Oak Church, of which I am a member. I was not all that excited about reading this book in the beginning, but that's only because I LOATHE required reading. After reading it, however, I'm in. This book has tons of good stuff in it for anyone who is currently, or will soon be, working in ministry.

3) Living With Questions - Dale Fincher
This book explores some of the most frequently asked "tough questions" about our faith. I read this book because I have spent a season dealing with a significant number of students who are asking these types of questions. That being said...this is an excellent book! Dale Fincher is one of the best Apologists-turned-Authors that I've ever read. This book would make a great recommendation for a seeker who enjoys reading. ps - I shared a copy of Living With Questions with a student who read it and has since gotten saved!

4)Adventures In Missing the Point - Tony Campolo, Brian McClaren
This book is AWESOME! Okay, okay, okay...everyone knows that Tony Campolo is at the top of my "heroes" list, but this book is an honest dialogue regarding the Christian church in today's society. It's probably safe to assume that Brian and Tony didn't make many friends with the message of this book, but it is a great read for anyone who is willing to do the hard work of trying to mold their life and ministry into the image of what the Biblical Bride of Christ is supposed to be. I LOVE THIS BOOK...which is why I can't work for 90% of the churches in America.

ps - I'm about to begin Donald Miller's "Searching For God Knows What"
Happy reading....and happy Easter!

1 comment:

Dale Fincher said...

Mark, I'm encouraged by your review of my book and how it helped open up your student's soul to Jesus. I added this review to my blog:

http://dalefincher.blogspot.com/

Peace to you,
dale