Monday, March 31, 2008

The Pauline approach

I spent the weekend reading in 2nd Corinthians, and I was reminded what an amazing disciple of Christ the Apostle Paul was. Seriously, one quick read through chapter 11 is all you really need to find out the kind of drive and perseverance with which he approached his ministry. Check this out:

"...I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death time and time again. Five times I received the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shiprwecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea. I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from the Gentiles, in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea, and in danger from false brothers. I have labored and toiled and gone often without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have gone often without food; I have been cold and naked." (Verses 23-27, NIV)

Wow...when I give that some thought and let that really sink in, all I can say is "wow". "Wow" because so many, including myself, probably would have quit on Jesus before enduring even half of that list...quit at least for a season...but Paul didn't quit. In fact, Paul went on in chapter 12 to explain his philosophy on such hardships.

"That is why for Christ's sake I delight in weakness, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."
(Verse 10, NIV)

Did you catch that? He said he DELIGHTS in it. "Delight" means that his hardships have a way of bringing him joy. Dude, talk about turning lemons into lemonade.

Needless to say, my journey into 2nd Corinthians this weekend has caused me to seriously self-evaluate. Lord, please help me to be more like Paul. Please help me to stop saying "woe-is-me" and calling 1-800-cry-baby every time something bad happens. I want to live for you, and I desperately want you to be strong in me...even if that means that my weaknesses need to be exposed. Thank you Lord, in Jesus' name. AMEN

No comments: