Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Something's changing


Something's changing in me, and I'm pretty sure that it is God at work in me. For example, I watched an episode of MTV cribs last night that featured Russell Simmons' crib, and when he toured his bathroom he pointed out his solid gold toilet...that's right...A SOLID GOLD TOILET...When I saw it, I became instantly nauseous. He explained that he spent $250,000 dollars for his one-of-a-kind, custom-made poop chair, and as I listened to him I became painfully aware that something is changing in me. I used to watch that show and be enamoured and impressed with the plush "digs" and luxurious lifestyle that millionaires can afford. And if I'm honest with you, I'll even confess that I daydreamed about having houses and cars and wardrobes like that. But God spoke to my heart last night and let me know that he is changing something about me.

When I saw Russell's golden toilet, all I could think of was the hungry mouths that $250,000 dollars could feed, the suicidal hearts that a quarter-of-a-million dollars could put through therapy that is so desperately needed, or the clean water wells that could be built for our brothers and sisters who live in third world countries, or...well, anything...anything else under the sun...but no...Russell would rather take that money and crap on it...literally.

Let me go on record and say, in Jesus' name, I have a problem with that.

Sure, Russell, just like the rest of us, has the freedom to spend his money as he chooses, but I am realizing that this change that God is creating in me means that God is holding me to a different standard. And what hurts is the fact that, at least on a much smaller scale, I have my own "golden toilets"...And I need to get rid of them.

Please help me, Lord, to do just that. Please help us all.

1 comment:

GrandmaK said...

I feel the same way almost daily and it makes my heart ache all the more about the people spending money on extravagant things that have no use in the Kingdom. God has blessed our nation but we've put so many "golden toilets" between us and God.It makes me realize all the more the "33,000" who don't know Christ or attend church in our area. We have so many people to reach because until they see where the real peace and joy comes from while on earth, they'll continue to look for the next thing to replace that $250,000 toilet. My eyes and heart were opened in Jamaica and I thank God and Charter Oak Church for leading me on my Journey. God bless you for being one of my leaders.