Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Thoughts after workstudy

I have the great honor of spending a few hours a week with a student who is doing a work-study with me. We spend the bulk of our time together in Scripture wrestling with its application in our lives, and today was no different. Today's discussion was on 2 Kings 4:8-37, The Shunammite Woman. As I reflect upon that conversation with my student, I am left with one thought. This thought:

It's AMAZING grace that Jesus has for us.

It's not average grace.
It's not adequate grace
It's not even abundant grace.
It's AMAZING grace.

It's grace like a flood when all you needed was a sprinkle.
...grace like a buffet when all you needed was a snack.
...grace like an ocean when all you needed was a swimming-hole.
It's AMAZING grace.

With amazing grace, the love of Christ comes to us more affectionately than between newlyweds on their wedding night.

With amazing grace, the forgiveness of God comes more quickly than water from a fire hydrant.

With amazing grace, the treasures of life are made more available than a winning lottery ticket.

It's grace that is stupefying.
...Grace that is beyond description.
...Grace that causes the blind to see, the lame to leap, and the mute to sing.
...Grace that brings the prodigal son home and calls Lazarus out of his grave.
...Grace that puts up with Peter's denials, David's lusts, Paul's thorns, and my many, many sins.

It's AMAZING grace...how sweet the sound!

Oh, if I could just live into the love that amazing grace affords...
if I could grow into the relationship that amazing grace provides...
if I could rest in the peace that amazing grace promotes...
How amazed would I be?

I long to know...
I'll live to know...

2 comments:

human said...

8) all our sins

i am not said...

dude. this totally blessed me today. and it will bless me every stinkin moment of my life.

karis and arene.
and not just any kind of karis...
amazing karis.

and right now as I sit consumed by my homework garbage, I can't get Him out of my mind... I can't get Him out of my head. Jesus has infected my spirit. I don't want to ever go back. I am pressing on toward the Goal. And nothing is gonna drag me down. I am gonna saddle the donkey and I am not gonna slow. I am gonna get to Jesus and I am going to throw my arms around His neck and just collapse into his embrace.

Amazing Grace.
How sweet the sound.