Saturday, April 26, 2008

Letter from a parent

I received a letter today from a parent of a relatively new student in our ministry. It made my day. This is the Gospel. Check it out:

PM,

I don't know what you did with my son at your retreat back in February, but the young man who came home from that retreat is not my son. Oh don't get me wrong. He looks just like my son and wears my son's clothes, but he is NOT my son. The son that I sent to Camp Allegheny back in February lacked confidence, self control, patience, and compassion. But this new boy who lives in my house is completely different. He is slow to speak. He has stopped smarting off to me and his mother. He asks us how he can pray for us, and then he actually prays for us. He comes home by his scheduled curfew. He asked us to put a filter on the internet to monitor the content that he sees on our computer. He has stopped smoking. He broke up with his girlfriend because he said that their entire relationship revolved around various types of sex. He does his chores around the house without being asked or reminded. And perhaps most shocking of all is that he gets up 30 minutes earlier every morning just to read his Bible. And when asked about his Bible reading, he says that he is reviewing what was studied in his A.B.S. group that week. Which is a good segue into the fact that this boy suddenly wants to spend all of his free time with you and your staff at Charter Oak Church.

Questions like hey dad will you drive me to Legion Keener or Westmoreland Mall are now replaced with hey dad can I go to the rush room? You should see his excitement on A.B.S. nights and Sunday nights. It's as though he can't wait to go to church. My wife and I have been absolutely stunned by this boy's behavior. We've even been stunned to the point of asking him why he has decided to make all these sudden changes, all-be-them good, we just wanted to hear it from him. To which he tearfully responds without fail "I with you am". I didn't realize that he was telling us about the difference that Christ is making in his life until I heard your "I With You Am" sermon.

PM as you know, the message of Jesus Christ can be lost particularly to young people without a shepherd to lead the way. Faith in Jesus Christ and the support of a sincere faith community have the power to conquer any obstacle. The student ministry at Charter Oak Church has obviously provided that shelter and faith building for my son, and for that my wife and I are deeply indebted to you and your staff. Last week Pastor Chris said in his presentation that Charter Oak Church's mission has something to do with transforming lives for all eternity. If that's so, then I would simply like to say that the mission is well underway for my son.

Thank you for doing what you do!

ps - If you ever find my son, you can keep him. I like this new kid a lot better!


Grace and Peace

No comments: