Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Sharing Jesus with Bob (pt. 2)

I had my first meeting with Bob today. If you don't know who Bob is, then you should read this blog before you read any further. Bob had no clue who I was or why I was there, and after studying up on Alzheimer's Disease last night I half expected that. But I was determined not to let that get in the way of discussing Christ with him. I sat down beside the easy chair in which Bob was reclining and asked him if he knew who Jesus was. It was a long 5 seconds of silence before Bob responded in a manner that let me know his memory was not as sharp as it was just yesterday. In fact, part of Bob's response was to ask me if I was Jesus...which made me smile on the inside...not because I felt particularly righteous in that moment, but rather it brought me joy because of the way I look today...picture for a moment a chubby Jesus that has his hair spiked wearing Rocket Dogs and an "American Eagle" t-shirt...now you know why I was grinning on the inside...

Anyway -

Bob and I spoke for about 20 minutes. I shared the Gospel with him. I told him that Jesus had known Bob his entire life and that they were best friends. I told him that Jesus knew that Bob wasn't going to be able to live in this world much longer and so he had been spending his time recently preparing a room for Bob in His Father's house...and I told him that he was going to love it there...I asked Bob what he thought about that, and Bob answered by smiling for the first time since my arrival and saying, "That's exciting." Before I left, I reminded Bob that Jesus loves him dearly, and I asked him if he loves Jesus. Bob said, "I surely do."

As I got in my car and drove away, I couldn't fight the tears any longer. What had occurred to me over the time that I had spent with Bob this morning was something that had affected me in a way that I wasn't expecting. Consider this...think back to the first day that you "heard" about Jesus, the first day that you invited him into your heart, the first day that amazing grace interrupted your sorrows, the first day that you were saved...now remember the peace and the joy that flooded your soul on that very first day...remember how pure and unspeakable that peace was? Well, Bob relived his first day today, and God gave me the blessing of watching it unfold. Wow...

I can't wait to share Jesus with Bob again tomorrow.
Grace and Peace

No comments: