Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Jesus' Lover

Tonight in my small group we kicked off what will be several weeks of Bible studies under the idea of becoming "Jesus' Lover". Let me first say that you shouldn't make something out of this that it isn't...we're not using the word "lover" as society might, as one with whom you might have deep romantic physical intimacy. Nor are we suggesting that Jesus ever had any "lovers" as it is implied in that context, but rather we are focusing in on the idea of loving Jesus more deeply and passionately simply for the sake of falling hopelessly in love with Him.

That may seem a little strange at first glance, but what could be better for a ministry than helping a group of its people increase their hunger for Jesus...not because of what He can do for them...but hunger for Him and His Word simply because they are so connected to him relationally, so in tune with the personhood of His divinity, and so captivated by His grace that they absolutely can't do without Him.

Putting this in a Biblical context, in Daniel 3:16-18 you see what I believe is perhaps one of the most pure acts of love for God in all of the Bible...Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego tell Nebuchadnezzer that they will not bow to an idol, and in the heat of the moment (and a fiery furnace, for that matter) they tell the king that even if God doesn't save them from certain death they will still never bow to Nebuchadnezzer's idols. This let's us know that Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego's acts of faithfulness were not contingent upon God working things to their favor, but rather they stood faithful, even unto death, first and foremost out of a deep love for God, Himself. Therefore, one could make the observation that there was a profound love between each one of them and God...therefore, one could make a case that, at least in the most pure of implications, they were God's lovers. Get it?

It happens several times throughout Scripture. People put the cause of Christ first in their lives simply out of a burning passionate desire to express affection to Jesus. Or what's more are the times in which people take bold risks just to get to Jesus and not for a miracle, not for a blessing, not even to hear him teach...they go to him just to lavish their affections upon Him (i.e. Luke 7:36-50).

Seriously, take 5 minutes sometime today to read Luke 7:36-50, and consider the huge risks and sacrifice that "the sinful woman" takes for the sake of expressing her love to Jesus. After you do that, ask yourself when was the last time you did something like that for the sake of loving Christ. I asked myself that question, and I wasn't satisfied with my answer.

In short, I want to love Jesus more. I want to crave Him in every way, and I want that for my students, as well. I want to let my every thought, my every word, and my every action to fall into perfect surrender to Him, and not out of the agenda that He will bless me...not even out of a sense of obligation because of all that He has done for me...no...not any more...I want to serve Him and love Him first and foremost because I've become so relationally attached to Him that I can no longer help myself...because my desire for Him and His ways has taken me over...because I simply can't stop myself from boldly and dangerously loving Him...because I've become Jesus' lover...

Grace and Peace

No comments: