Thursday, January 29, 2009

Midnight thoughts

Hi! It's the middle of the night, and I can't sleep. I don't know why I can't sleep. I just can't. So...here is a sample of what's been racing through my mind tonight.

-Being a good pastor is hard
-Being a good dad is harder
-I like chocolate
-I like chocolate even more in the middle of the night
-I feel as though I've been spiritually hibernating in recent months...it was involuntary and unplanned.
-God is waking me up from my hibernating...this is good.
-The Senior Management Team retreat that I just returned from was one of the hardest but most productive things I've ever been through in that setting.
-The members of the Senior Management Team of Charter Oak Church kick rear at what they do. Cindy, Betsy, Andi, Maxine, Bill, Chris...I love you guys!
-Chris Whitehead puts the "lead" in lead pastor.
-Someone I know is halfway done with a 21 day fast...Keep pressing in! You're gonna make it! I've never been more blown away by your commitment to Jesus.
-The Student Ministry's winter retreat is gonna be AMAZING this year!
-I miss Lorris. Lorris, there simply must be a round of padiddle in our near future!
-I've been preaching to myself today. I don't know why, but I've caught myself preaching out loud like 8 times today. All the same message...one that I've never preached before.
-I wonder if this sermon I've been preaching today is for something coming up or just for me.
-Izzy ate his first pepperoni today. You'd have thought that he had died and gone to Heaven to see the look on his face.
-I'm crazy in love with my 3 kids.
-Being a good dad is the most important thing that I'll do on this side of Heaven.
-There are a lot of concepts in the Bible that I struggle to grasp, but I know, and I MEAN I KNOW, why it is that "He who has been forgiven little loves little, but he who has been forgiven much loves much."
-Thank you, Jesus, for forgiving me of so much.
-Something big is about to happen.
-I have a secret addiction to gummy worms. I just thought it was time to get that off of my chest.
-I successfully trimmed 3 shots off of my handicap in 2008.
-I guess most of you would think less of me though to find out that I only golf on Wii.
-I'm nervous about Obama's leadership of our Country.
-I'd be just as nervous if it were McCain, though.
-I'm finally feeling sleepy.
-I just sneezed and passed gas at the same time...it's like a "bonus" when that happens.

Alas, I am off to bed.
Grace and Peace

3 comments:

Tom Beagan said...

Hey Mark, reflecting on what you said about your spiritual hibernation, I urge you to take some time get away with God and listen. I just got this from Perry Noble today, "Partial obedience = complete disobedience...just something Jesus reminded me of this morning...DANG!"

Mark McMahon said...

Thanks for sharing, Tom.
Perry's words are insightful and intimidating. It's nice to hear from you.

ps - I hope you're feeling better.

Laura M said...

Hahaha, I freaking love you Mark.
Padiddle is indeed in order.